Rum “Bum” Club Program Manager
La Isla Cuisine – Seattle, Wa
1) Bucket List items for this year.
- Visit Puerto Rico and the Destilería Serrallés.
- Learn how to Salsa and Breakdance.
- See Jarabe de Palo again after a full, an cancer-free recovery.
- Carve an artistic ice sculpture with a chainsaw.
- Get up on stage and sing with Picoso; one of my favorite groups from Seattle.
2) What is the biggest achievement you personally feel you have accomplish for the rum industry
Informing people that might not normally drink rum, how awesome it is. Thanks to Jason Mikos and Alfonso Gonzales (La Isla owners) for having the confidence in me to run our monthly La Isla Cuisine Rum Club events. It’s been an amazing experience meeting all the people I’ve met over the last 2 years, and to be informing the masses about rum.
3) Favorite Drink + Recipe
“La Isla’s “Arnold de Trinidad”
1.5 oz Plantation Trinidad
2.0 oz Lemon/Lime Juice
2.0 oz Unsweetened Ice Tea
0.5 oz Simple Syrup
2 healthy dashes of cinnamon and a 1 healthy dash of nutmeg.
Method: : Shake and serve that hardy pig.
4) Where do you see the rum industry today and in the next 5 years?
I think the rum industry is going off! Each year theres more and more rum festivals popping up and people are becoming really receptive to it. I just attended the inaugural California Rum Fest, and what huge success that was.
There is so many passionate people talking about rum now, that hopefully in 5 years, people will be walking into whiskey and tequila bars and asking for rum.
5) Share some (2-3) of your mentors and how they have helped you.
- Alfonso Gonzales – Alfonso’s motivates me with his general passion for rum. He’s constantly sending me titles of books on rum to read, lending me books from his own collection, and he just inspires me with his knowledge and love of rum.
- Jason Mikos (and Alfonso) for letting me run with my ideas for Rum Club and always backing me up. Plus, Jason and I have a common love for “Nanyo” or, El Dorado 12.
- Hernan Cíntron – my brother in arms! We’ve tried every rum we can together…and we have many more to go.