Interview of The Week
DIPLOMÁTICO RUM VENEZUELA
1. Who is Leonardo Rodríguez?
Bachelor of Business Administration at Marist College, New York. With +7 years of experience in Marketing and Trade Marketing. 1+ Year working in the Spirits industry with DUSA. Recently (4 Months) I was promoted as Brand Manager of Diplomatico in Venezuela.
2. Biggest achievement you personally feel you have accomplish for the rum industry.
The execution of the release of the new Diplomatico tradition line in Venezuela and also the opportunity of doing so during a big scale event such as the Caracas Ron Festival. Many details had to be taken into account, everything must function through harmony and logic.
3. What made you fall in love with rum and when did it happen?
My career took me to the rum world, I realized that making rum is an art and since that moment that passion’s been growing. Our master distillers Tito, Nelson and Gilberto take care of such a delicate work. I feel very privileged to work hand in hand with them.
4. What is that thing that makes you want to continue in the rum industry?
5. Favorite Drink + Recipe
Diplomatico Old Fashioned: drink based on Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, 1 spoonful of sugar, 1 spoonful of soda, 4 Dashes of Amargo de angostura, ice and orange peel garnish.
Ginger Passion with Diplomatico Planas: Diplomático Planas (50ml), 9° grados Ginger Ale, Passion Fruit Juice (25ml), Sugar Syrup (25ml), Lemon juice (15ml), Ice.
6. Where do you see the rum industry today and in the next 5 years?
We forecast growth, greater global coverage, new brands, especially in the Premium segment and innovations in the category, for example spice rums, which is already a trend.
7. What do you think needs to happen to grow the premium category of rum?
The brand should be in the right places, its campaigns be innovative and not only generate the need but also educate the consumer and teach them different modalities of consumption
8. Which rum would you recommend a person that:
a. Sipping a premium rum for the 1st time
Start with the least aged ones, try them pure and learn to differentiate the tasting notes between a Premium and a Super Premium rum to discover the perfect time and occasion to enjoy each of them
b. Likes Scotch Whisky
Diplomatico Mantuano or Reserva Exclusiva on the rocks, even Planas might do the work
c. Likes Bourbon
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
d. Likes Gin or Vodka
e. Likes Cognac
Diplomatico Single Vintage
9. Share some (2-3) of your mentors and how they have help you.
The Masters, Gilberto and Nelson, have taught me what I know so far of rum and they continue to teach me how much I should continue to learn.
10. What 3-5 things do you have in your bucket list for the next 12 months?
Generate Brand Awareness of the new Diplomatic Tradition line. That consumers Rediscover the World of Rum with Diplomatico, generate connection with the brand, learn from its elaboration process and its roots.
11. Any last words?
Cheers! With Diplomatico Rum
12. How can people learn more about you? Website? Social Media Page?
We invite you to follow us on:
Instagram: rondiplomatico, diplomaticorum
Facebook: Ron Diplomatico