TIKI Connoisseur / 2014 Iron TikiTender Winner / Owner of Tacoma Cabana
1) Bucket List items for this year.
- Master more exotic/tropical/Tiki drinks
- Teach people how to make exotic/tropical/Tiki drinks
- Refine my use of rum(s) in beverages
- Create more original exotic/tropical/beverages
2) Biggest achievement you personally feel you have accomplished for the rum industry.
I could easily run my bar program with a dozen bottles of rum instead of the near 300 bottles and still be just as satisfied. Maybe I just might do that.
3) Favorite Drink + Recipe
1934 Zombie Punch without a doubt. He’s the king of all that is Tiki. If you don’t know that recipe, then you’re doing it wrong.
4) Where do you see the rum industry today and in the next 5 yrs.?
5) Share some (2-3) of your mentors and how they have help you.
- Connor O’Brien. I quickly learned from him when I first opened exactly what being a bartender meant. Give the guest what they want with sincerity even if it is a vodka and soda lit on fire. To the guest, that is the greatest drink ever.
- Earnest Gantt. Without him pioneering the exotic cocktail, none of this would be here today. I love dissecting his recipes down to the spoonful and the last drop.
- Justin Wojslaw for always being there to bounce recipes and ideas off of. Matt Pietrek for making me push my self. Helena Olson for being my biggest fan and one of my very first influences. Her words to me have been inspirational to say the least. Josh Miller for answering my rum inquiries. All of my guests and everyone who’s tried a drink of mine and told me it sucked. Those are my mentors and because of them I get to do what I do and that is pretty awesome!