Cartavio Rum Master Blender
1) Bucket List items for this year.
- To launch an amazing new expression of Ron Cartavio.
- Experiment with new blends of light and heavy rums.
- Continue working on 3 exciting new developments
2) Biggest achievement you personally feel you have accomplished for the rum industry.
In 1985 we started the project to build a rum factory in Lima, Peru; in 1994 the Peruvian State Mark stopped our operations and we lost 18,000 barrels containing some great rum. Today however, we not only recovered the industry but we have over 43,000 barrels and have made many technological contributions to the industry. One example is our Ron Cartavio XO, which uses an innovation with 100 liter barrels and a unique handling right up to bottling.
3) Favorite Drink + Recipe
Several mint leaves (spearmint)
2 tablespoons sugar
3 cl. lemon juice
4 cl. white rum
Schweppes soda water
In a Collins glass, we add the sugar, lemon juice and mint leaves (spearmint). Muddle to extract the flavor from the leaves. Then we add ice, rum and soda. Garnish with a sprig of mint.
4) Where do you see the rum industry today and in the next 5 years?
5) Share some (2-3) of your mentors and how they have help you.
- Mr. Ignacio Fierro Viña, President of the GIF Group (Grupo Iberoamericano de Fomento)
- Mr. Raul Morales Vargas, Plant Superintendent for Seagram’s of Costa Rica S.A.