The man behind Rum Depot &
German – Berlin – Rum Festival
1) Bucket List items for this year.
- Finish my book on Rum
- Successfully complete the fifth German Rum Festival
- Convince even more people of Rum
- Promote transparency in the rum market
- More Caribbean vacation, aah I do not go on holiday, only Missions
2) Biggest achievement you personally feel you have accomplished for the rum industry.
I think I have in the 15 years that I have worked in the rum business, helped to make popular rum in Germany.
3) Favorite Drink + Recipe
It is difficult to confine myself to just one drink. I think Old Fashioned variants very exciting because you enhance the character of rum when they are prepared well done.
4) Where do you see the rum industry today?
Rum is a fast growing market, which still tried. There are traditionalists, modernists and those who try to reinvent the wheel. An exciting time for the future, but certainly not for all.
5) Where do you see the rum industry in 5 years?
In five years, the market will have calmed down and adjusted. I’m sure there will be more transparency when it comes to for example production. Exciting is the question as to wood (barrels) are handled.
6) Share some (2-3) of your mentors and how they have helped you.
Richard Seale was the first who showed me a still from the inside.
Francisco Don Pancho Fernandez is a person who has let me participate at a development of decades.