House Of Angostura
Global Brand Ambassador
1) Bucket List items for this year.
- Make a Daiquiri at La Floridita in Cuba.
- Visit Artesian Bar in London.
- Eat a live octopus in Korea
- Go cage Shark diving
- Visit Rio De Janeiro Carnival
2) What is the biggest achievement you personally feel you have accomplish for the rum industry
Rum is such a loved spirit category by many. I was born and lived in the Caribbean all my life. Sharing my passion for Rum, a true caribbean spirit as a caribbean bartender allows me to translate it’s beauty in a language that’s new to many. When I speak of its origin, influence – economically and socially, evolution, cultural drinking styles, cocktail rituals and more….I am no longer just an Ambassador but a voice of the Caribbean and its beloved spirit “Rum”.
3) Favorite Drink + Recipe
Queens Park Swizzle
2 oz Angostura 7yr Rum
1 oz Fresh Lime juice
1 oz Demerara syrup
(2:1 | 2 parts demerara sugar: 1 part water)
12-14 Mint leaves
6-8 Dashes Angostura Aromatic Bitters
Method: Built over crushed ice
Garnish: Mint Sprig
4) Where do you see the rum industry today and in the next 5 years?
According to the IWSR stats last year, Rum was the second most consumed spirit in the world. Being the preferred spirit by many and considering its consistent growth in popularity, I believe in the next five years Rum will be the dominating spirit category.
5) Share some (2-3) of your mentors and how they have helped you.
- Philip Duff – Director Of Education – Tales Of The Cocktail – Mentoring by example. As an excellent presenter he showcases the uniqueness of personality combined with a wealth of knowledge. As a friend he continually encourages the need for education as a pivoting tool in the advancement of a Bartender/Brand Ambassador.
- Tony Abu Gamin – aka “The Modern Mixologist” – My first bar-tending video was with Tony teaching how to make Pina Coladas, Mojitos, Cosmopolitans and more. I was motivated by his passion, technique and his ability to charm his guest into enjoying that cocktail. When I got the opportunity to meet and work with Tony, he quickly became a mentor. Teaching that humility and diligence are key to one’s growth.
- Ann Tuennerman – Founder of Tales Of The Cocktails – A true pioneer for the drink industry as she embodies strength with such grace. A great example of a leader guiding her TOTC team. They continually execute excellent events that are innovative and relevant to the growth of the drink industry. Her kindness and leadership style are great examples to learn from.
6) Any last words?
The passion for the craft of mixology and the quest for the perfect drink leads us to explore. There is much to learn and much to learn from Rum. Cheers!
7) About Daniyel Jones
Daniyel Jones is the Brand Ambassador for the House Of Angostura, traveling the world sharing the beauty of Bitters, Rum and Amaro.
The 2013 Winner of the Angostura Global Cocktail Challenge, contInues to demonstrate his passion for the craft. Having eight years in the industry as a Bartender, Entrepreneur and Brand Ambassador he pioneers for Caribbean bartenders. Globally working alongside the very best in the industry, he believes that humility and an aptItude for learning, guides you to become the best.