Owner of Bellboy, Kalamata, Duck Face, Monkey Business & 223 / World Class Bartender of the Year 2015 – Runner up
1) Who is Ariel Leizgold ?
I was born in Israel and was the runner up to World Class Bartender of the Year 2015. I’m also the owner of BELLBOY (2014), a Mediterranean restaurant called “Kalamata” (2010), an events production company called “Duck Face” (2009), a global bar consulting company called “Monkey Business” (2008) and owner of “223” Israel’s oldest running and most awarded Cocktail Bar (2008). I’m also very proud to have written “Zman Amiti” (2012) which is used as a training book and guide in bartending courses.
This year I’ve been invited by World Class Puerto Rico (https://www.facebook.com/worldclasspuertorico/) to teach the Master Class to their group of participating bartenders, and also be a part of a three day tour to the best bars where I’ll be creating cocktails to demonstrate some of the techniques I’ve acquired through my years behind the bar.
2) Biggest achievement you personally feel you have accomplish for the rum industry.
Specifically in Rum, I won the Israeli Rum challenge several years ago… also my bars are championing the Israeli rum promotion and getting lots of guests to experiment with new rums.
3) What made you fall in love with rum and when did it happen?
when I first tried Zacapa 23… a friend brought it in, and I thought to myself: this has more depth and complexity than any whisky or cognac I drink… loved it!
4) What is that thing that makes you want to continue in the rum industry? ?
I love people and I love what rum does to people… the experience, that’s what makes me keep going.
5) Favorite Rum Drink + Recipe?
6) Where do you see the rum industry today and in the next 5 years?
well, probably going more towards the luxury zone… as are other categories of spirit.
7) What 3-5 things do you have in your bucket list for the next 12 months?
I travel the world with World Class… giving master classes meeting people…. Spreading the word, inspiring and being inspired!
9) Any last words?
never play with yellow snow
10) How can people learn more about you? Website? Social Media Page?